Friday 20 September 2013

Love oath

When a girl or a wife wants to make a love potion for her lover or husband she takes a glass of water and an empty bowl in which she will perform ritual washing of the body. This ritual is done after the woman has taken a shower, since according to folk belief love oaths (basme) have power only when they are uttered by a person with a clean body. Before she commences ritual cleansing the woman repeats the verse Ihlas five times.
 
N. me elif, you elif,
you were muti
whatever I'm doing you are doing
look with my eyes (wash eye lids three times)
hear with my ears (wash ears three times)
speak with my mouth (wash mouth three times)
operate with my hands (wash hands three times)
walk with my feet (wash feet three times)
veledalin amin from God amin.
 
The water which was used to wash the mentioned body parts is stored in a small bottle and is kept until a suitable moment when it can be poured in the lovers/husbands coffee or juice. When she completes this she then blows three times in the direction of the juice or coffee and swallows the spit in her mouth.